Monday, June 24, 2013

TO Food Fest

If you've been on this blog before, you probably noticed that I'm quite partial to food events. Anything that involves delectable edibles in a sampling-friendly format makes me very, very happy. Unfortunately, many local food festivals have either always been or have now made the transition to being overpriced and are simply not worth the price of admission. That's why I always get excited when a new one appears on the scene and why I made the trek to Scarborough despite being quite literally wiped out after the Colour Me RAD event (I actually got a kick when I got recognized by my RAD tattoos that I didn't have the energy to scrub off).

It was worth the drive. With free admission, free parking, and no sampling tickets to contend with (you could simply hand over cash to the vendors, eliminating the need to somehow use up those pesky leftover tickets), this was a very low-risk event to begin with and the great food on site pushed it into the winning territory. Prices were very reasonable, dishes were varied and delicious, and the crowds manageable. Some of the vendors sold out (this was towards the end of the event) and there were a few line-ups for the popular items, but these were totally manageable and moved quickly, and there was plenty of other deliciousness to compensate for the items we didn't get to try. My friend and I had a great time and would both go again next year if the event returns.

I was actually quite surprised to discover that this event was organized by Youth in Business, as I've been to larger professionally-run events that left a lot to be desired. These guys knocked it out of the park. Well-run, good social media presence, and fabulous exposure for small-scale food entrepreneurs. I hope they meet their goal of making this an annual event and growing it further. Best of luck to them!

WHAT: TO Food Fest

WHERE: Chinese Cultural Centre of Greater Toronto

WHEN: June 23, 2013

COST: Free

INSIDER TIPS: Go! And bring some cash (and possible a blanket to roll around on the grass in between sampling). It's a very unpretentious, relaxed community atmosphere and an enjoyable way to spend the day. Or you can be in and out in about an hour if you're in a rush. Either way, delicious.

Liquid nitrogen ice cream in the making
Loading up on free San Pellegrino
I don't care how long the line is when there is pulled pork involved

No comments:

Post a Comment